The Kinesio Taping® Method (KTM) enhances the body’s natural healing process and provides support and stability to the muscles and joints. Since the tape is applied directly to the skin, it does not limit the body's range of motion and nor the activities that can be done.
The KTM is applied in hundreds of ways and has the ability to return the body to homeostasis by
- Re-educating the neuromuscular system,
- Reducing pain and inflammation,
- Enhancing performance,
- Assisting in returning the body to homeostasis,
- Providing support,
- Preventing injury, and
- Promoting good circulation and healing.
If you have ever seen colorful tape on athletes during the Olympics, you have seen Kinesio Tape. Kinesio is not only used for athletes. Anyone ranging from the pediatric to geriatric population can use Kinesio Tape. The information gained from proper assessments will allow for the most effective treatment protocol to be determined. The Kinesio Taping® Method has been shown to have positive physiological effects on the skin, lymphatic and circulatory system, fascia, muscles, ligaments, tendons, and joints. It can be used in conjunction with a multitude of other treatments and modalities, and is effective during the acute, chronic and rehabilitative phases of injury as well as for preventative measures.
IMPORTANT: Since Kinesio Tape targets different somatosenory receptors, it should only be applied by a trained professional.
Tips for caring for you Kinesio Tape after getting it applied by your doctor.
- Use precaution when putting on and taking off clothing in order to not get the tape stuck on your clothes
- To dry the tape after showering or exercising, pat or blot it dry
- Do not place direct heat on tape because this will make the adhesive over-adhere to the skin, which will make it difficult to remove
- Can be worn for a minimum of 2-3 days
- If instructed to remove by doctor, ensure you apply tension and remove in the direction of hair growth
- Remove slowly so you do not irritate the skin
- Applying olive or baby oil can also make removal easier
Call us at 703-273-2792 or email us at [email protected] to see if Kinesio Taping is right for you!